Friday, April 9

Poisoning - Play Doh is not a food...

Last night, while I was busy cleaning up the kitchen for the night my husband suddenly panicked when he saw that our six month old daughter was eating a play doh! Our elder daughter got this Easter egg with play doh inside and started playing with it in the table. We did not noticed that she brought a small chunk of it beside the baby. And since Andi was in a stage right now where she puts everything in her mouth, she decided to taste some of those play doh that is lying around. We panicked because we did not know if play doh is poisonous or edible. I immediately check the Internet and found out that it is not. And that I am not the only mother who panicked and got scared by it. I was about to call Poison control but it looks like Andi was doing ok.

But in case your children ate or drink something which you think is poisonous here's what to do according to Seattle Children:

  • Call 911 right away if your child has a seizure, passes out or has trouble breathing.
  • Most poisoning can be handled over the phone, unless it's life threatening. Call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222
  • Explain to them what your child ate, drank, touched or smelled.
  • Listen to what they say and do what they say.
  • Be prepared to bring your child to the hospital.
  • Bring the bottle or container from which your child ate or drank, even if it is empty.
  • If your child threw up, bring your child's vomit.
  • Do not make your child throw up unless you are told to do so by the Poison Center or your doctor.
The most important thing to do is make sure that all cleaning materials, medicines, and other hazardous materials are tuck away from our children. Otherwise make sure that all those cabinets have safety locks!

No comments: